New Stops along Syracuse's Freedom Trail
Click on map numbers for narrative.
|1. Courier Building, East Washington and Montgomery streets: Site of Daniel Webster's 1851 challenge to the people of Syracuse. More Info 2. Dana Block, Warren and Water streets: Site of George Vashon's law office. He was first African-American lawyer in New York State. More Info 3. Wesleyan Church, Columbus Circle: Original site of carved faces that may date to mid-19th century. More Info 4. Plymouth Church, 232 E. Onondaga St.: Congregation was very active in promoting the Underground Railroad. More Info 5. Jerry Rescue building, west of Clinton Square: William "Jerry" Henry was imprisoned here before his rescue in 1851.More Info 6. William R. and Mary L. Edwards House, 1113 Ashworth Place: The site suggests the biracial character of much of this pre-Civil War neighborhood. More Info 7. Robinson houses, 204 and 206 Catherine Street: Mary Robinson lived next door to Francis Lando, who by the 1890's was the last man living in Syracuse who had once been enslaved. More Info||8. Allen/Schneider house, 35 Catawba St.: Working class African-American household. More Info 9. Wandell house, 412 Ash St.: One of many stable African-American families employed in service occupations.More Info 10. Barnes house (Corinthian Club), 930 James St.: Illustrates the involvement of European Americans in the Vigilance Committee supporting the Underground Railroad.More Info 11. Harriet May Mills house, 1074 W. Genesee St.: Oral tradition suggests this house was once a safe house on the Underground Railroad.More Info 12. Sabine house, 9 Academy Green: William H. Sabine owned at least one person in slavery. His son invited anti-slavery lecturer William Chaplin to give a speech in the front yard. More Info From the Post Standard|
Back to map.